POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Variable IOR - has the time come? : Re: Variable IOR - has the time come? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Variable IOR - has the time come?
From: Jellby
Date: 26 Feb 2006 12:19:22
Message: <l2l8d3-q3c.ln1@badulaque.unex.es>
Among other things, Warp saw fit to write:

>   And sampling along a spline (iow. splitting the spline into very small
> parts and making a whole ray-scene intersection test for each small part)
> is exactly what would make it prohibitively slow.
>   Would it really be worth the effort?
>
>   Radiosity requires lots of sampling, but the results can be spectacular.
> Media also requires lots of sampling, but the results can also be quite
> spectacular. Variable IOR would probably require even more sampling, yet
> I highly doubt the end result will look any spectacular.

Could it maybe be "faked" in some way, similarly to how the caustics keyword
fakes photons?

I'm not sure what kind of effect it would give, I'm just throwing some white
noise into the discussion :-)

--
light_source{9+9*x,1}camera{orthographic look_at(1-y)/4angle 30location
9/4-z*4}light_source{-9*z,1}union{box{.9-z.1+x clipped_by{plane{2+y-4*x