POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : noise_generator histograms : Re: noise_generator histograms Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:48:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: noise_generator histograms
From: Mike Williams
Date: 24 Oct 2001 02:41:48
Message: <l2iiQBAYpk17Ewak@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Nathan Kopp who wrote:

> It is interesting to note the clear patterns that emerge from
> noise_generator 3.  This seems to confirm some reports that
> noise_generator 3 doesn't seem to be very random.

I'd noticed some subtler patterning in some of my own tests, but your
image shows it much more clearly.

It had been noted on another thread that noise_generator 3 produces non-
random results at integer positions. I guess that the grid pattern
visible in this image may be related to integer positions (possibly
scaled down by the code inside the granite pattern).

It looks to me like the stuff between the grid lines is nicely random,
but that the values returned from points on the grid are discontinuous
from the stuff between the lines. I thought that perlin noise was better
than that. Is it possible that there's a bug in the noise_generator 3
code when called for integer locations?

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure