POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Albedo in PoV-Ray? : Re: Albedo in PoV-Ray? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:24:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Albedo in PoV-Ray?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 6 May 2009 06:09:32
Message: <kv3P9BDYHWAKFwVk@econym.demon.co.uk>

>High!
>
>During the process of getting together the astronomical data for my
>Solar System project ("PoVSolar"), I usually also find albedo values
>for the various planetary objects.
>
>Now my question: as the albedo value gives the percentage of incoming
>light reflected from a body, is it correct to assume that HSL
>brightness values directly correspond to albedo (I know that there are
>different ways to compute astronomical albedo, but for the time being,
>I would stick to the basic definition), so that a dark grey asteroid
>with an albedo of 0.04 would be best modeled as rgb 0.04? (Yes, I've
>also already heard of a PoV macro to convert HSL vectors into RGB
>vectors, within colors.inc, if I remember correctly...)
>
>How can I adjust the overall (=average) brightness of a bitmap texture
>to a certain value? Can it be done within PoV-Ray or should I better
>relay on GIMP to do this?

Using rgb 0.04 is fine if the object has zero saturation.

For non-grey colours, the albedo is probably best represented by .gray
(watch out for that American spelling, the UK English spelling doesn't
work) which returns a value where the three components are weighted in a
way that corresponds to the way the human eye responds. As you say,
there are various definitions of albedo, but using the response of the
human eye is a reasonable one to go with.

   #declare C = rgb <0.5,0.3,0.2>;

then C.gray, the albedo of that colour, returns 0.348

If you have an object that has the same hue and saturation as C but has
albedo A, then you can write

   pigment {C*A/C.gray}

--
Mike Williams