POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Uneven Scaling on the Y-Axis : Re: Uneven Scaling on the Y-Axis Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Uneven Scaling on the Y-Axis
From: kurtz le pirate
Date: 30 Jul 2005 13:04:15
Message: <kurtzlepirate-AAD91C.19041430072005@news.povray.org>
In article <dcgb8r$1e$1@chho.imagico.de>,

::Potato Man wrote:
::> The post title is really my question this time:
::>
::> How do you get uneven scaling on the Y-Axis?
::
::Not at all - uneven scaling would be a nonlinear transform and this
::isn't possible in a raytracer.  See
::
::http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/languageQandT.html#bending
::
::for details.
::
::> See, what I'm trying to do (to
::> sort of introduce myself to POV-Ray) is make a Go board.  If you don't know
::> what Go is, go to http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/  The pieces for go are
::> essentially spheres, but they have flat bottoms, sort of like mancala
::> pieces.  I'm supposing it is possible to do in POV-Ray but I don't know
::> how.  Can anyone help me out on this?
::
::I seriously doubt Go pieces are in fact continuously unevenly scaled
::spheres - if they were it would be quite difficult to create the forms
::to manufacture them.  More likely they are composed from a differently
::scaled upper and lower half - you can do this with CSG in POV-Ray.
::
::Christoph

you are right christoph but a first approximation for a newbie can be :
  sphere { pos, radius scale <1, 0.10, 1> }

klp