POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Tesselation process : Re: Tesselation process Server Time
6 Aug 2024 17:02:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tesselation process
Date: 18 Feb 2002 07:05:03
Message: <kpq17uojflt7tt5595cspmr4nc4eqrjc42@4ax.com>

<jer### [at] atosorigincom> wrote:
> I'm wondering about the possible tesselation of Pov object:

This question sounds great becouse it's suggestion you are near final
implementation.

> would you expect the textures of the tesselated object to be taken in the generated
mesh ?
> Or would you only expect to get the form with only the default texture ?
> Should the actual texture be used?
> or sampled at the triangle vertex, keeping only a RGB(TF) vector ?

I imagine all above should be optional. For example: there is no simple way to
recreate texture of differently colored blob's components, so sampling colors
(or even all texture components) for vertices should be possible. But when
complicated iso-stone is tesselated then there is no need to store texture for
every vertex but whole mesh should inherit texture from mesh.

Also it could be great to inherit uv-coordinates when available. For example
parametric object is very slow in rendering but looks it could be possible to
apply uv-mapping to it. Recreating this object with loop along functions gives
not optimized mesh. Recreating it with tesselation gives optimized triangles
but without uv-mapping.

ABX