POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Subsurface Scattering: macro now available (21kb jpeg) : Re: Subsurface Scattering: macro now available (21kb jpeg) Server Time
20 May 2024 08:54:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Subsurface Scattering: macro now available (21kb jpeg)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 27 Nov 2003 04:45:16
Message: <kktg91-8o2.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Samuel Benge wrote:
> [...]
>
> This *can* be hard-coded. A setup similar to the current implementation
> of photons would do the trick, but instead of making them pass through
> in refraction or bounce off in reflection, they would simply stick onto
> the object's surface and blur out.

This 'scattering photon mapping' is definitely an interesting idea.  I
don't know it it will work efficiently in practice but that's difficult
to tell.  Note that it is a completely different approach towards
scattering than usual.

But your blob based technique could be much more efficient with Chris
Huff's blob pattern.  This way you would avoid the need for the multiple
object patterns and don't need a slow proximity pattern either.

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______