POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Music selection : Re: Music selection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Music selection
From: Stephen
Date: 7 Feb 2008 06:09:35
Message: <kgolq3h1gbnqbv1ek3kvj2n03he93bpo47@4ax.com>
On 6 Feb 2008 17:43:12 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>> That is dispiriting.
>
>What, that people have to evolve their skills?  That's the way the world
>is (at least in the so-called "western world") these days.  Adapt or
>die....It sounds harsh, but it's reality.

No I meant that you feel that it is the people that learn how to follow
instructions as apposed to people who learn how to build something that will be
successful. That is dispiriting.

>I'm happy to talk either politics or religion.  Maybe that's why I don't
>have a lot of friends. ;-)

Maybe you weren't brought up in a region that was renowned for violence and
religious bigotry. I was and it is taboo for a very good reason IMO. Although I
understand others feel differently.:)

>I'm having a great debate right now with someone about the relative
>merits of calling Wicca a religion (he doesn't believe it is, and he's
>wrong <g>)

It is not surprising to me that the "Old Religion" is not considered a religion
by some.
and the US armed forces holding weekly services for those who

>Add to that his statement that belief that science can eventually explain
>everything is irrational (but belief in an invisible guy in the sky who
>controls everything isn't?), and you've got a conversation that's ripe
>for lots of fun shouting. :-)  Needless to say, *I've* been having fun
>with it.

Ah! Well. Each to their own and rib him mercilessly :)

>Yeah, I understand that you guys are catching the sub-prime mortgage wave
>that hit us the end of last year.  Don't get bitten.

Too late [quote http://www.creditaction.org.uk/debt-statistics.html ] Average

actually have some form of unsecured loan.

>I also understand

> :  What's the
>world coming to?

It looks like its going to Hades in a wheelbarrow. :) But then I've been hearing
that all my life. If you extrapolate that back there must have been a Golden Age
:-)

>Yep.  I have to admit that I'm concerned about my retirement fund;

I've decided to work until I die. :)
But then I like my work. Thinking about it I just like working :)

> I was
>stupid when I was in my early 20s and closed my 401(k) account so I could
>make a down payment on a house.  That money would, in the long run, been
>much better left invested where it was.  I may have another 30-35 years
>of working time left before I retire, but the operation of compound
>interest would've served me well with the money I put in when I was 19-22.

If only we could see into the future but don't get me started on religion :)

>It can be a bit depressing at times.  That said, I love the job, though,
>and right now couldn't see myself doing anything else.  I've always been
>a bit mercenary when it comes to employment (though there are things I
>*won't* do), and for the first time in my career, I'm in a place where,
>if something "better" came along I probably wouldn't take it.  I would
>look at it, but IME "better" is always a case of appearances, and things
>are pretty good where I am.  I made a jump once before for "better" and
>it was (work-wise) a very bad call.  Life-wise, it worked out very well
>(I met my wife because I moved for the job), but I was miserable for
>about 2 years, and unemployed for 6 months of that.

I'm glad you found something you like and I hope that it lasts for as long as
you want it to.
And as my old granny used to say. "What's for you, won't go past you."

>That's always a good ego-boost, isn't it?

Yes

> Current job sent me to
>Barcelona a few years ago (and actually, it was before I was in this job
>- I was doing some of the job prior to moving back into the department),
>and this year is looking like I'll get to at least go to Europe (probably
>Germany) and Australia, possibly also New Zealand and Japan (the latter
>will be on my own dime to visit my brother - I figure if I'm "in the
>neighborhood" I should go visit him in Osaka).

The brotherly thing to do, IMO. :)
Keep us posted it sounds like it could be Pov-Con on a world tour. :)

>I really enjoy travel - the actual "getting there" bit isn't a lot of
>fun, but once I'm there, I like to get out and see things.

In a nutshell! But my wife actually likes the travel part. (Weird :)

Regards
	Stephen