POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Some notes about Cygwin/MinGW compilation : Re: Some notes about Cygwin/MinGW compilation Server Time
30 Apr 2024 17:29:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some notes about Cygwin/MinGW compilation
From: ABX
Date: 4 Nov 2002 04:52:13
Message: <kdecsu4cfcjrnmup0eofge26htdr46t848@4ax.com>
On Sun, 03 Nov 2002 16:27:07 +0100, Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>
wrote:
> I'm not sure this is a good idea.  The 'BLOB' type occurs at quite a lot
> of places

Not so much. Only 4 files IIRC.

> and this would lead to a lot of modifications.  In general i
> think it would be best to have no more modifications than necessary.

I will check further propositions from this thread.

BTW: I have not checked MinGW with Cygwin. I'm using it separated. I can't
find any INT32 conflict there so perhaps it is becouse of CygWin ? Comparing
compilation of POV3.5 with DJGPP and MinGW on the same machine DJGPP
compilation process is twice faster (I use exactly the same settings becouse I
use one shared makefile for them). It is probably becouse of extended headers
with all those windows constants from w32api. I have not tested speed of
exacutables but I have seen your results in general.

I have found one problem with pure MinGW. There is some problem with length of
commandline. For example I have no problem with creating archive/library with
  ar rcs libsrc $(LIST_OF_SRC_MEMBERS)
when DJGPP is used. But it fails when pure (no cygwin) MinGW is used. It is
used in the same shell as DJGPP but it truncates command line at some
possition. I had to move this command from general process to each object
processing (add each object 'manually' after compilation), ie:
  bbox.o:
    g++ $(CFLAGS) -c -o bbox.o bbox.cpp
    ar rcs libsrc.a bbox.o
The same problem is not only for 'ar'. It is connected with command line in
MinGW with all tools, for example when more longer include paths is added with
-I.

ABX