POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Re: isoIFS (192k) : Re: isoIFS (192k) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 13:55:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isoIFS (192k)
From: Mike Williams
Date: 24 Nov 2002 01:49:25
Message: <kc6eoHAAZH49EwY1@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Simon Lemieux who wrote:
>> BTW, anybody knows how I could scale the radius of the twisted cylinder?
>
>Oh and I forgot, here is the function:
>function {
>  x*cos((z+2*clock)*2*pi) + x^2 +
>  y*sin((z+2*clock)*2*pi) + y^2
>}

Depending on what you mean by "scale", you might want to do something
like this to cause the radius to vary linearly as z changes

#declare  F = function {
  x*cos((z+2*clock)*2*pi)*(z-A)/B + x*x +
  y*sin((z+2*clock)*2*pi)*(z-A)/B + y*y
}

[I've also changed the syntax from being MegaPov specific to something
that will also work in POVRay, so that I could test it].

Where "A" specifies the point along the z axis where the radius would
become zero, and B controls the rate at which the radius reduces.

If you just want to scale the while thing, then you'll find the "scale"
keyword useful. It still works with isosurfaces.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure