POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Field rendering question : Re: Field rendering question Server Time
6 Oct 2024 10:09:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Field rendering question
From: Scott Moore
Date: 3 May 2002 07:26:28
Message: <k8s4ducufbllgo5j8mi8p32i0346ronbjk@4ax.com>
On Fri, 3 May 2002 12:59:09 +0200, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>the current beahvior works as designed because what you suggest requires two
>scene representations to be in memory at the same time.  This is simply not
>possible without reparsing, and I take it the last thing you want is to let
>POV-Ray reparse the scene for every line, do you?  The solution is to use a
>program that does the conversion as described by teh other posters.  Adobe
>Premiere is one such program but I am sure a similar option is available in
>every reasonable video editing program if one just looks for it.
>
>    Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

You would need to reparse for every line!!?
Surely you would parse once to do all the odd lines at time t and then
re-parse to do all the even lines at time t + halfframe?
This seems to be what 3ds max does. It first renders all the odd lines
and then all the even lines before moving on to the next frame.
Admittedly this requires two parses per frame (you could think of it
as one parse per field) The benefit of this is that you get better
temporal resolution (I hope that makes sense!) at the expense of
vertical resolution. The output on TV made my jaw drop at how smooth
movement was as compared to a non interlaced (progressive scan)
animation.

Who knows, I'm a C++ developer myself so maybe I might do a patch when
the 3.5 source come out. I've been lurking for a few years and would
like to give something back to the POV community so if anyone thinks
this would be useful then let me know.

Cheers,

Scott