POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Transparency bug : Re: Transparency bug Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:05:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparency bug
From: Alan Kong
Date: 16 Mar 2001 15:03:43
Message: <k2s4btc0uuk5f0s7anns9fdruq763nkhhd@4ax.com>
On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:03:24 -0500 Bryan Spitz wrote:

>I think I've discovered a bug in POV-Ray 3.1g. When the camera looks through
>three or more "panes" of transparent material, the panes farthest away will
>be coloured in completely black.

  Hi, Bryan. Here's an excerpt from the POV-Ray v3.1 docs, section 4.10.6

"The other symptom you could see is with transparent objects. For instance,
try making a union of concentric spheres with a clear texture on them. Make
ten of them in the union with radius's from 1 to 10 and render the scene.
The image will show the first few spheres correctly, then black. This is
because a new level is used every time you pass through a transparent
surface. Raise max_trace_level to fix this problem."

  There are cases in which you might want to raise max_trace_level up to a
certain point and not beyond it. Use the lowest setting that will give
acceptable results in the final image - higher settings may take longer to
render.