POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Another competition? : Re: Another competition? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another competition?
From: ABX
Date: 4 May 2004 11:31:20
Message: <jjcf90po6amgjjeordn0i7t362t4dti70i@4ax.com>
On Sat, 01 May 2004 15:55:45 +1000, Paul Bourke <pdb### [at] swineduau>
wrote:
> I've run the short code and the fractal competitions, see
>   http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/povray/scc3/final/
>   http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/povray/povfrac/final/
>
> Are you sick of these competitions or is there still interest?

The only thing I do not like is end within weekend. To me best solution is to
end it on end of Monday so I can bring the entry I made during weekend. I have
less free time during weekend but more powerful CPU to play with. Last time I
spend two weeks gathering elements for fractal scene and finally realised it's
too late because I choosed wrong weekend :-(

> If the later then how about another in the near future, what about these options?
> 1. Limited geometry. eg: Create a scene with no more than 10 objects from
>    the following list: sphere, cylinder, cone, box....
                                                         .... POV-Logo

> Feel free to suggest others.

4. No programming. Create scene without #declaring, #whiling and #macroing
   anything with number of chars per object limited to 80 chars long single
   line. So the number of lines makes number of objects and no line is longer
   than 80-chars. This should extract power of some features as in shortes sig
   contest but without limitation to 4 lines.

5. Unrealistic parameters. Use at least one parameter in SDL in not suggested
   way to make a key effect of the scene. Negative lightsource. Negative
   radius etc. etc.

6. Playing with rays. Make the scene where image is created on surface after
   reflection/refraction. Object in mirrors. Play of the light on glass. Hand
   half under, half over surface of water.

I think that in general in your contests short code chould be favored in the
way size is not limited into exact number of chars but rather in relation to
other entries. So when the voting opens I would like to see percentage size in
relation to largest size in the contest round.

ABX