POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Virtualight : Re: Virtualight Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Virtualight
From: ABX
Date: 23 May 2003 08:38:28
Message: <jh4scvokhbls3flj6h1ltm9m2v6oiprf9o@4ax.com>
On Fri, 23 May 2003 08:04:39 EDT, "Daniel Ngu" <ngu### [at] xtraconz> wrote:
> Since I'm a new comer, would you please let
> me know if you had tried out Virtualight as well and what you think of it
> and how it differs from POVRay.

Since I never played with VirtuaLight I can say only from my point of view which
is POV focused:
- I do not see link to sources on VirtualLight homepage
- I do not see binaries for other platforms on their site
- I know that some of their planned features are already available in POV as
patches (HDRI, support for shader scripts, motion blur, post-processing) since
times of POV 3.1 and earlier
- looking at the gallery I do not see any image which coould be not faked with
POV-Ray by some of the POV artists I know
- it wasn't used in Soyuz ;-)

But I'm sure there are reasons why this tool has three different forums and so
pretty fast development. That's good there is an alternative to raytracing.

ABX