POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Realy Anoying : Re: Realy Anoying Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:55:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realy Anoying
From: Jerry
Date: 18 Feb 2002 13:56:24
Message: <jerry-F1BE2A.10562418022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c6ae159@news.povray.org>,
 "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>In article <3C6### [at] earthlinknet> , Ryan Mooney <rdm### [at] earthlinknet>
>wrote:
>> are over 200 files that are locked... =[ I have to go through them all
>> one by one and unlock them before i can trash them... =[
>Well, if you are unable to follow the very simple instructions the Finder will
>present to you in a modal alert box, I am sorry.  The ability to read
>instructions shown on screen is still required to use a computer:
>
>"The Trash cannot be emptied because all of the items in it (other than
>folders) are locked. To delete locked items, hold down the Option key while
>you choose Empty Trash."
>
>Not to mention this tip can also be found *easily* in the Finder help, on the
>internet and in many Mac magazines.

According to his headers, he is using OS X. This tip doesn't work in OS
X, nor does he receive that error message in OS X. OS X simply gives him
the option to stop the empty request or to continue emptying the trash
without emptying it of the offending file (and OS X's trash will
continue to ask him that question for every locked file in the trash).

It is possible to select multiple files in OS X 10.1.2, do a get info,
and unlock them all at once, but this tip is not so easy to find, and
anyone who ran into this problem in OS X 10.0 will not realize that the
feature has since been added. (In OS X 10.0, the 'Lock file" checkbox is
greyed out if multiple items have been selected.)

OS X's trash doesn't deal with locked files very well yet. It doesn't
allow ignoring locked files and not presenting a dialog for every single
one; it doesn't allow ignoring the lock attribute and deleting them
anyway; and it doesn't inform the user of a means of allowing the trash
to empty those files.

Jerry
--
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you've