POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Invisible object that accepts shadows? : Re: Invisible object that accepts shadows? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:26:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invisible object that accepts shadows?
From: Jerry
Date: 27 Oct 2000 13:43:32
Message: <jerry-CD3194.10433327102000@news.povray.org>
In article <39F### [at] inapginrafr>, Gilles Tran
<tra### [at] inapginrafr> wrote:

>Jerry wrote:
>
>> You can see an example of why I wanted it at
>> http://www.hoboes.com/html/RPG/The%20Game/The%20Game00.jpg
>
>Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious here, but why not just use
>a white, empty background behind the paper ???

In the image that you're seeing, it is a white, empty background. The
problem is that if you look at the shadow cast by the pencil, it
disappears at the edge of the paper, as if the paper were floating in
air. I don't want that to happen, but I also don't want an object
visible in the scene--basically, I want the pencil to cast a shadow on
the document that I'm placing this image in, whether that document is a
web page or the printed page. I want the pencil to cast a shadow in that
empty white area so that the pencil's shadow doesn't look odd when I
actually use this image in my documents.

Jerry
--
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you've