POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : are there any books for POV-ray? : Re: are there any books for POV-ray? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:16:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: are there any books for POV-ray?
From: Jerry
Date: 27 Nov 2000 14:07:02
Message: <jerry-B89601.11070027112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3A22BBC6.189ABC83@aol.com>, j charter <jrc### [at] aolcom>
wrote:

>Because example code can help make an intuitive leap that straight
>documentation of syntax may not: how to actually use the syntax to get
>a specific result.  Manuals may or may not include example code, ( and
>the povray manual includes a generous amount), but tutorials
>necessaily do.

Also, manuals do not always, even when they include code, actually
include *verified* code. Even the (in my opinion wonderful) POV
documentation has had some time-wasting errors in the code examples.
(One that cost me a bit of time was an example for, I think, the
checkers pattern; their code sample "worked" because, while it was
incorrect, the two colors it appeared to choose were the two colors that
showed up--but that's because those two colors were the defaults.
Replace those two colors in the sample with any other colors, and the
defaults continued to show up. Took a while (and a post to this
newsgroup) for me to figure that one out.)

Tutorials have a tendency to discuss a single issue in depth; such an
error is unlikely to show up in a tutorial on pigment patterns, because
the tutorial would have chosen multiple colors to show how the pattern
can be changed.

(In my tutorials, I actually link each image to the exact code used to
produce that image.)

Jerry
--
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you've