POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New POV-Ray webpage : Re: New POV-Ray webpage Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:36:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New POV-Ray webpage
From: Jerry
Date: 16 Jul 2002 11:48:55
Message: <jerry-B764CB.08485516072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d342fad@news.povray.org>,
 "Chris Cason" <new### [at] deletethispovrayorg> wrote:
>In that case, the presence of a "</a>" is implied immediately after the <a
>...>,
>simply because it can't be any other way. This is the way browsers have worked
>since the start, to my knowledge, and one that doesn't work that way is IMO
>broken (and I don't care what the standards say, it's broken).

No, this is not the way things have worked from the start, nor is it the
way things should work now. Anchoring was originally expected to anchor
text: the original GUI browser (Mosaic) would crash if a page tried to
anchor nothing.

If you look in O'Reilly's HTML Definitive Guide, you'll see that their
anchor examples enclose text. (see p. 197, section 6.3, of the fourth
edition).

Anchoring around something is more useful for computer-oriented browsing
than anchoring around nothing. I have used this in my own scripts in the
past, and suspect other people have as well.

As we move away from anchoring with <a name="...">text</a> and towards
anchoring via IDs in existing tags, most anchors will once again enclose
text.

An anchor needs a closing tag in the same way as <em> and <strong> need
closing tags. There isn't any "implied ending" except perhaps at the end
of a paragraph-level tag.

Jerry
--
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you've