POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : TUTORIAL WRITERS: 10 Best CD, Tutorial uploading format? : Re: TUTORIAL WRITERS: 2nd proposal..... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 11:29:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TUTORIAL WRITERS: 2nd proposal.....
From: Jerry
Date: 1 Sep 2000 11:28:17
Message: <jerry-A2AEF6.08281201092000@news.povray.org>
In article <39aede6d@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>  I really don't understand why limit the number of items and not set any
>limit to file sizes when it should the exactly the other way around.
>  It's the disk space we are concerned about, isn't it? The tutorials
>  shouldn't

One reason *might* be that on CD-ROM drives (especially older ones) the
speed of loading web pages seems to me to be more related to the number
of images rather than the size of the images.

I know that back when I had a 1x CD-ROM drive, the IRTC CD-ROM web pages
took forever to load, although I could muck around inside the
directories and load the images by hand easily enough.

To make matters worse, Netscape (and I think IE) don't bother cacheing
files that are on the local filesystem--so if you forget to "Open Link
in New Window", you have to wait all over again when you hit the 'Back'
button.

On my only slightly obsolete 24x CD-ROM drive, the IRTC pages with lots
of thumbnail images are still very annoyingly slow to load.

(I should probably just spend the $400 for a 60 Gig FireWire drive and
archive all my CD-ROMs on there...)

Jerry