POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : random numbers : Re: random numbers Server Time
8 Aug 2024 12:25:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: random numbers
From: Jerry
Date: 8 Feb 2001 11:18:29
Message: <jerry-8E2C97.08170508022001@news.povray.org>
In article <slr### [at] fwicom>, ron### [at] povrayorg
wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 00:36:36 +0100, Alessandro Coppo wrote:
>>*) Mersenne Twister, currently the best known
>>http://www.math.keio.ac.jp/~matumoto/emt.html,  period is 2**19937-1 it's
>>not a typo... about 10**6000!!!
>
>We can't use this one at this time as its license is GPL.

I saw the Mersenne Twister described in the latest WebTechniques. It
looked pretty simple. GPL is a copyright, not a patent, as far as I
know. Though I am not a lawyer, I'm pretty sure that recoding from an
English description would not infringe on a copyright.

Jerry
--
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you've