POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Texturing Site : Re: Texturing Site Server Time
1 Jul 2024 09:47:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Texturing Site
From: Jerry
Date: 9 Feb 2001 12:02:08
Message: <jerry-861E93.09020709022001@news.povray.org>
In article <3A82D6C5.5905212B@ucdavis.edu>, Ryan Constantine
<rcc### [at] ucdavisedu> wrote:

>> I am a purist at heart and hate image_maps so I feel the site should only
>> contain procedural textures.
>
>how is it that procedural textures are more 'pure' than imagemaps?

In my case, I always prefer procedural textures to imagemaps *if* the
imagemaps are not straight lines. This is because procedural textures
can be resized with less distortion than imagemaps, and I tend to render
my images at many sizes. In the sense that with a procedural texture I
do not have to worry later on if I blow up the rendering, procedural
textures are "more pure".

>aren't they both art?  isn't the idea to make the best image as
>possible?  why is a limited toolbox better than a full one?  do
>mechanics try to fix cars with only cresent wrenches?

I think the better example would be, do mechanics keep both a fixed-size
crescent wrench set and an adjustable crescent wrench in their toolbox?
In some cases, a mechanic might not be able to afford a crescent wrench
for all sizes, just as we cannot always find a procedural texture that
does the same thing as an imagemap. But if we can find the
correctly-sized fixed crescent wrench (the procedural texture that does
the same thing as the imagemap), it is clearly the better choice.

Jerry
--
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you've