POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Language of POV-Ray : Re: The Language of POV-Ray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Language of POV-Ray
From: Jerry
Date: 9 Mar 2000 14:07:08
Message: <jerry-54B241.11070809032000@news.povray.org>
In article <38C7685C.5A4F3A68@pacbell.net>, lin### [at] povrayorg
wrote:
>Would you have difficulty re-learning POV-Ray if it's language format
>changed ?
>
>Would you resent it or maybe even quit using the program completely ?

If it's better and easier to use, I keep using it; if it's not, I don't.
Personally, I like the template-scripting style of POV, much for the
same reason I really like PHP for making web pages.

If I were to make one change to the language, it might be to make a form
of macro that looks more like built-in functions. So instead of making a
function like:

#macro FaceofGod(Religion,Sect,Vowels)

#end

and calling it like:

object { FaceofGod("Christianity","Mormon","auau")}

you could call it like:

FaceofGod {
   religion "Christianity"
   sect "Mormon"
   vowels "auau"
   pigment {
      color Green
   }
}

But this might be solved by object-oriented objects as well.

Jerry