POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Poll: MPEG output option : Re: Poll: MPEG output option Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:36:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poll: MPEG output option
From: Jerry
Date: 16 May 2000 10:15:39
Message: <jerry-503CF9.07153916052000@news.povray.org>
In article <391f6101$1@news.povray.org>, "Jetlag"
<bga### [at] microsoftcom> wrote:

>How many people would find it useful for POV-Ray to save directly to an
>MPEG-1 file?
>
>I'm just fact-finding for those wondering.

The Macintosh versions of POV can save directly to Quicktime. It sounds
like it would be a useful feature, but in practice I never use it, even
though about half of what I do ends up becoming a Quicktime movie. I
think the only time I've used it seriously was in writing a tutorial
that included how to use it :*)

The reason it isn't quite as useful as it sounds, is that rendering your
frames usually takes longer than collating your movie. I don't want to
have to render my frames again just because I chose poor settings for
the movie-making process. So I still always render the frames to PNG and
then use separate software to convert the frames into a movie. That way
I can try all sorts of different compression settings and other options
to get what I need.

Jerry