POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : No POV-Ray at Renderosity site : Re: Post Process [was: No POV-Ray at Renderosity site] Server Time
4 Aug 2024 06:14:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Post Process [was: No POV-Ray at Renderosity site]
From: Jerry
Date: 9 Sep 2003 12:14:29
Message: <jerry-24D055.09142309092003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3f5cbcbc$1@news.povray.org>,
 Florian Brucker <tor### [at] torfboldcom> wrote:
>> So a sculptor should look for a piece of stone that has the exact right
>> colours in the right spots, and should not use paint on his sculptures?
>
>of course he can use paint. but he should not take a photo of the
>scuplture and post process it in photo shop :)

Post-processing within a 3d program has significant advantages over post
processing outside of the program. I think the statue/paint analogy is
more apt than the statue/photoshop analogy. When MegaPOV had post
processing, it wasn't just a matter of a simple filter running over the
"surface" of the image (though that has its advantages); the filters had
access to depth information, for example; and while I don't recall that
in MegaPOV post processing had access to actual object information,
there's no reason they shouldn't (i.e., knowledge about which object the
filter is applying to when it changes pixel x).

Integrated post processing has the potential to allow us sculptors to do
marvelous things that are either impossible or difficult directly within
the 3D scene. Somethings are not really part of the scene, but are part
of the resulting image. Making changes to the scene to fake out the
renderer is certainly possible, but generally more time-consuming and
prone to error.

One of the best examples of this for me was adding edges based solely on
depth information; certainly, there are and have been ways of doing this
as part of each object, but that's a hack to produce results that mimic
what post processing can do easily, and it is more difficult to boot.

Post processing also allows much easier automation. It makes it trivial
to automatically convert an image to greyscale, for an example that I
used often. Again, you could certainly do so without post-processing,
but 'trivial' is probably not the correct term, and even then you would
be attempting to trick the renderer into doing what post-processing can
do 'naturally': convert the *final image* to greyscale.

Post processing is probably the main reason I keep a copy of the old
MegaPOV around.

Jerry
--
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you've
depleted the lake."--It Isn't Murder If They're Yankees