POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Working with Text : Re: Working with Text Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Working with Text
From: Jerry
Date: 2 Aug 1999 15:32:06
Message: <jerry-0208991232070001@cerebus.acusd.edu>
On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:53:37 -0700, "Matt Swarm" <ide### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>Can't seem to find much on working with text as graphic objects.  The POV
>package has an example which, blissfully, uses True Type fonts.
>
>In addition to color and texture, I would like to bevel, round the face,
>illuminate from inside, wrap the line of text around a sphere or cylinder
>(inside or out) and the like.

If you don't mind the letters being straight, you can wrap them around a
sphere or cylinder using a macro (though you may find the "Object Bounds"
part of the superpatch exceedingly useful here).

Bevel text with the following macro:

//creates beveled text
#macro bevel_text (bevelFont, bevelText, bevel_depth, text_depth,nbr_of_objects)
   union {
      #local i = 0;
      #while (i < 1)
      //This is the bevel itself
      text {
         ttf bevelFont, bevelText, bevel_depth, <bevel_depth,0,0>
         matrix < 1, 0, 0,
               0, 1, 0,
               cos(i*2*pi), sin(i*2*pi), 1,
               0, 0, 0 >
      }

      //This is what is behind the bevel.
      //Set text_depth to 0 if you only want the bevel.
      #if (text_depth > 0)
         text {
            ttf bevelFont, bevelText, text_depth, <bevel_depth,0,0>
            translate <cos(i*2*pi)*bevel_depth,
                  sin(i*2*pi)*bevel_depth,
                  bevel_depth>
         }
      #end
   #declare i = i + 1/nbr_of_objects;
   #end
}
#end

Don't ask me how it works, I didn't create it. I just converted it to work
as a macro :*)

Jerry