POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Are there any utilities that convert a povray object to a povray mesh2? : Re: Are there any utilities that convert a povray object to a povray mesh2? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Are there any utilities that convert a povray object to a povray mesh2?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 7 Aug 2002 00:04:54
Message: <jbKzbDA8vJU9EwZM@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Patrick Dugan who wrote:
>Are there any utilities that convert a povray object to a povray mesh2?
>
>For example, I have an object which consists of a box with several spheres
>"differenced" out of that box.  (looks like Swiss cheese)
>
>I would assume that a mesh2 version of that object would render much faster
>than the "differenced" original version.  Are there such utilities and how
>hard would this be to accomplish?  If it really helps I would even prefer
>the entire scene get converted to speed up the render.

It might also be worth taking a look at my POV holes tutorial.
<http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/holetut/index.htm>

This shows a case where it was possible to speed up the rendering time
of a slab with 1600 holes differenced out of it from over 26 minutes to
only 5 seconds.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure