POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image_map color adjustment? : Re: Image_map color adjustment? - Update Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:27:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image_map color adjustment? - Update
From: Kyle
Date: 15 Jul 2005 18:56:20
Message: <j7egd1df2d6f6llm4ed5clb8e3t991bv6q@4ax.com>
Here are the results of a few tests...

The problem:  When using a jpg image in an image mapped pigment, the
rendered colors are very washed out as compared to the original image.

After a reply from William Pokorny on this issue, I opened the
original image in Gimp, adjusted the gamma by 0.45, which is 1/2.2,
then saved it.  The colors of the rendered image were correct.

This got me to thinking about saving the original image in a format
that stores gamma data and if POVRay would account for this...

I first saved the original image in png format without gamma.  The
colors of the rendered image were washed out, just like with the
original jpg image.

I then saved the original image in png format with gamma.  The colors
of the rendered image are correct!

Apparently, POVRay does adjust for the gamma value that is saved with
an image if it is used in an image mapped pigment.

I hope this info helps someone else out...

Kyle