POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Commercial stuff with PovRAY? : Re: Commercial stuff with PovRAY? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:11:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Commercial stuff with PovRAY?
From: ABX
Date: 11 Aug 2004 02:33:04
Message: <j6ejh01g0fh00tgfdqfh5oflu7m9pldmo2@4ax.com>
On 10 Aug 2004 23:31:40 -0400, "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spa### [at] raf256com> wrote:
> First of all - povray OUTPUT (not povray program itself). License say that
> one can whatever he wants with it (all images are property of scene file
> creator). Is PovRAY team/users/creators - rather heapy that it can be used
> in serious and/or commercial projects?

Sorry I'm lost what you are trying to say above.

> For example projects like zazzle is totaly based on PovRAY (and other
> rendereres).

Do you know somebody from there and have stats ?
Did you made a simple browsing ? "Wild animals" category. "Travel".
"Astronomy, space." ?

> Second - programs that ARE 3d renderers that need povray and that exist
> almost only for PovRay. There are free projects like TomTree / PovTree.

I'm lost - it's example of what ?

> But also - there is Moray, with is a commercial program with PovRay as
> essentional part.
>
> In fact, Moray also is not distributed along with PovRAY, so I guess they
> had faced same problem as I did, and where forced to same solution (so we
> will just tell them to download it manualy)?

Hint: search for "Moray" in list of POV-Team members in manual.

> Even without such peyment - free (more or less) software grows rapidly.

My observation is exactly opposite: I saw larger frequency of announcement of
good patches/include files/additional tools in the past.

> "stop playing with that and get a real 3d visualization
> C++ library"

What's name of this library ?

> Is blocking usage of PovRay renderer a good thing to do?

Nobody is blocking anything. So many programs have export to POV script - how
is it blocking? Open Office does export to MS Word but it does not need to
distribute MS Word itself.

ABX