POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Multiprocessor versions of POV? : Re: Multiprocessor versions of POV? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multiprocessor versions of POV?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 1 Mar 2000 17:44:10
Message: <j5u9ODjR7eqs7lL9pnZaG+YUUIyx@4ax.com>
On 1 Mar 2000 16:49:28 -0500, ron### [at] povrayorg (Ron Parker)
wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Mar 2000 22:09:46 +0100, Karl Pelzer wrote:
>
>>But honestly I'm not satisfied yet.
>
>THERE IS NO MULTITHREADED VERSION OF POV-RAY.  PERIOD.

Gee, these keyboards are getting crappier every day. Ron's caps lock
key got stuck, and the darn thing isn't even three months old.

>If you really must know why, go read one of the dozens of threads over in
>povray.programming, or even in this very group, that cover that topic in
>excruciating detail.  The short version, though, is that coding properly
>for multiple threads isn't as easy as Microsoft wants you to believe it is.

I believe the problem lies in basically having to redesign everything
from scratch, which the Team would not be likely to do solely for the
sake of multi-threadedness.

>Besides, process switches are nearly as fast as thread switches, so what's
>the problem with the solutions presented so far?

Memory consumption? I believe two threads can share the same memory
(for reading at least) but not so for two processes.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700