POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : poser 3 clothing help : Re: poser 3 clothing help Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:11:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: poser 3 clothing help
From: Mike Williams
Date: 19 Aug 2002 01:42:19
Message: <inTzEVArrFY9Ew6b@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it James Taylor who wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I've been scouraging the net for poser 3 clothing and can't find anything
>(apart from lots and lots of bikinis & lingerie). So I guess I'm left with
>modelling it myself, unless someone knows of a helpful link. - I'm looking
>for everyday clothes - jeans, T-shirt, dresses etc.

It is possible to use some of the Poser 4 clothing in Poser 3. P4
clothing is much more widely available.

Conformal clothing is one of the big differences between P3 and P4. Once
you understand how it works, it's possible to achieve the same effect in
P3 with a little bit more difficulty.

What happens is that an item of conformal clothing has (a subset of) the
same hierarchical structure as the character it is designed for. The
clothing can be posed in exactly the same way as a character. The
clothing has hip, abdomen, collar, shoulder, forearm etc. with the same
joint structure as the character it's designed to fit. In P4, when you
"conform" the clothing to a character, it will follow the pose changes
you make to the character.

In P3, the clothing is not conformable, but it is possible, IN SOME
CASES, to load the clothing as a second "figure" and apply an identical
pose to the two "figures".

I've only tested this with a few items of conformable clothing. Some P4
clothes that I tried didn't work, and it wasn't always obvious why not.
For example, one that worked was the "fetish dress" from the "cyo-bit
L@bo" site <http://www.jet.ne.jp/~m-jacky/index.html>.

I installed the "fetish_dress.cr2" and "fetish_dress.rsr" files into
"libraries/character/conformableclothing/", and the "newcloth2.obj" into
"geometries/taruru".

I then loaded the nude female figure and the fetish_dress figure into P3
(ignoring the "file has a newer version number" warning). I then applied
the SAME pose to both figures.

Hints:

1. Try to avoid applying hair to the clothing figure. If the clothing
doesn't have a head, its neck and head joints may not be 100% correct.
Make sure you have the actual woman selected when you apply hair.

2. Once you've proved that a piece of P4 clothing does work, work with
nude figure first and only add the clothing after you're totally happy
with the pose. (Save the pose into the pose library, add the clothing
and apply the pose to it.) Trying to make fine adjustments to the pose
with all the clothing in the way is tricky.

3. Don't forget to convert any texture files into TIF format, since
that's the only format that P3 recognises.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure