POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Long parse time : Re: Long parse time Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Long parse time
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 15 Feb 2004 17:10:03
Message: <im65g1-ef8.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> Perhaps someone on a non-Windows platform should test the mesh parsing too.

Mesh parsing is about the same here as the loop, i only tested a very
small mesh that only took about 5 seconds so it is not very accurate but
3.6 is slightly faster than 3.5.

> Actually I'm back to 3.1 as far as parsing time is concerned :D

3.1 is indeed much faster for the loop here as well (the mesh was a
mesh2 so i could not test it), but the changes from 3.1 to 3.5 were
fairly large so this is quite understandable (more features -> slower
parsing).

> I should add that this seems to affect only the parsing time, not the render
> time. I noticed that it's a different compiler too.

You could try Megapov 0.7 and Megapov 1.0 in comparison.  You should
also notice that with parsing times of only a few seconds you should
always run the test several times because speed of file access will
strongly vary.

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______