POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : seeking suggestions for a particular effect : Re: seeking suggestions for a particular effect Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: seeking suggestions for a particular effect
From: ABX
Date: 4 Jun 2003 06:27:06
Message: <ilhrdvkhbh6ubodv1pueo6ofmtbi8soqj8@4ax.com>
On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 20:08:58 +1000, Paul Bourke <pdb### [at] swineduau> wrote:
> So finally to my question. I would like to experiment with an isosurface
> (current a huge bucket of triangles in a mesh) where the transparency
> was proprotional (or some other function) to the angle between the
> camera and the triangle normal. In particular, where the dot product
> is low I want high transparency, where the dot product is large I
> want a high opacity. I'm interested in representing the borders of the
> isosurface while being able to see the objects inside.
>
> Ideas?

AOI pattern ? Available in MLPOV and will be in next MegaPOV.

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/30297/

This can be faked with official 3.5 by applying different slope pattern to each
triangle in mesh.

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/31718/

Both ways produce border with different width. To get even border you can post
process your rendering. Render first frame without isosurface. Then render
second frame with isosurface but without any other object in quick color mode
(Quality=1). Then render third frame with locating first frame on the plane
before camera with macros included in screen.inc official include file and using
eval_pattern over second frame locate set of spheres making border. Hope I wrote
it in uderstable way.

ABX