POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Request - Texture Override, Help Request : Re: Feature Request - Texture Override, Help Request Server Time
30 Apr 2024 23:40:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Request - Texture Override, Help Request
From: Kyle
Date: 16 Jan 2008 12:32:43
Message: <ijfso3dujkvp9073gnv7ndmnuqn2avisob@4ax.com>
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:10:08 -0000, "Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:

>I'd like a little more clarity about what you mean by 'stripes'. Do you mean
>road markings such as the white lane markings and yellow no-parking lines
>that you have on a lot of roads?

Yes.

>If that's what you want I would suggest
>adding a separate object that stands proud of the surface (like paint does)
>and that tracks along the road rather than trying to do it just with
>textures.

I have done something like that, but was not satisfied with the result.  Take a look
at my reply to Arne a few minutes ago.  I may be able to use a no-texture version of
the road to form an
intersection where I want the lines, and then raise it up above the surface of the
road.  It'll require another copy of the road though...

>For dirt, you might want to try adding a mostly transparent object a very
>small distance above the surface (a plane, a box or a prism object that
>follows the course of the road) where the upper surface is just enough above
>the brick surface to avoid coincident surfaces. You could use a 'spotted'
>pigment to simulate dirt. If the bricks are not totally flat, some could
>stick through this mostly transparent surface and would end up cleaner than
>the rest.

Yes, that's part of the problem.  The bricks are not flat, but are randomly skewed to
look more realistic.  I may still be able to use this idea, or perhaps the
non-transparent road idea as outlined
above.

Thanks for the suggestions.