POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : About THAT idea... : Re: About THAT idea... Server Time
5 Aug 2024 20:15:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About THAT idea...
From: ABX
Date: 13 Sep 2002 06:11:53
Message: <icd3ouggshg0h0rs30c295rai3cd9nju5g@4ax.com>
On 12 Sep 2002 20:11:17 -0400, "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:
> Maybe just - it would be greate to have some tutorial like :

In case you missed this I'm making my patches this way.

> To write new shape, go to line in file ... and write this code : ...,
> nowe write intersection tests in file/line...

Please read planes.cpp probably simplest object in pakcage. Isn't it readable?
Of course don't miss Parse_Plane in parse.cpp.

> and add new token to parser
> in line ...

This description is written in one of my patch descriptions
http://www.abx.art.pl/pov/patches/patches.php?Author=ABX
Have you missed this ?

> Realy everyone who isn't involved in development of POV can easly get lost
> in it's huge code.

I'm not involved in development of POV and I know how to read it. Instead of
criticising try to learn read it. It basic skill of programmer. I'm imagine
you are programmer.

> Like in example - .txt format - with file/line is opening file, closes it,
> parses it's name (and select extension), write line (or pixel - flush
> buffer) ?

In simplification
- tokens are hosted in two files.
- parsing objects is one file
- every object has separated file.
- every file format has separated file.
All together not even 100 cpp files. It is one of the simples development
model I know. Comparing in small company I'm working with 900 files with 15 MB
of sources mostly not written by me. Would you imagine I can refuse my boss to
implement some feature becouse I can't read source ?

I understand povray source code is not trivial for newbie but not impossible
to read.

ABX