POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q. about MegaPOV Dispersion, and warning about an error in NewIOR.inc : Re: Q. about MegaPOV Dispersion, and warning about an error in NewIOR.inc Server Time
9 Aug 2024 23:25:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Q. about MegaPOV Dispersion, and warning about an error in NewIOR.inc
From: Peter Popov
Date: 25 Apr 2000 20:23:49
Message: <i6dcgscb4od5aqhffh6h8nheqfn8a70bev@4ax.com>
On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:32:57 GMT, sea### [at] mailcitycom (Sven-Erik
Andersen) wrote:

>Haven't had much time to use it, but started to look through the docs
>yesterday. And I have a question about dispersion. How do I calculate
>the value if I have the IOR-value for both violet and red? Is it as
>simple as IOR_Red/IOR_Violet?

I would suggest you either e-mail Daren or conduct a test. Shoot a red
and a violet thin rays at a prism and see where they end after
refracting once by graduating the far side of the prism. One should be
able to calculate the relation between the value of dispersion and ior
or at least obtain an accurate enough linearisation of it.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet