POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: IMBJR
Date: 7 Mar 2004 14:10:10
Message: <i0tm40huvcmgbtvgs1nkersrn2agrkopck@4ax.com>
On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 19:53:46 +0100, Lutz-Peter Hooge <lpv### [at] gmxde>
wrote:

>IMBJR <no### [at] spamhere> wrote:
>
>> Well the software I use to make and view JPEG2000 files is free so I
>> believe it is free.
>
>What software is that? In what sense of "free"?

Infranview with plugins.

>A free (of charge) win32 binary is of no use to users of other
>operating systems.

Yes and that's why if customers shout loud enough, then those other
OSs will be supported too. If vendors see the format being used, they
will have to take note.

>> And who the hell is talking about getting the spec?
>
>If the spec isn't free there won't be many implementations,
>wich means it is more likely that people "can't see it"(TM).

There are plenty of people out there willing to pay - it's called
commercial software. Open-source is merely just another way.

>Lutz-Peter

My First Subgenius Picture Book:
http://www.imbjr.com