POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : grep 'logo' /etc/collectedWisdom : Re: grep 'logo' /etc/collectedWisdom Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: grep 'logo' /etc/collectedWisdom
From: Henry
Date: 9 May 2000 09:36:46
Message: <htp-E77423.23064109052000@news.povray.org>
In article <391737bd@news.povray.org>, "Bill DeWitt"
<the### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

> I don't know why "we" want one, -I- want one that I can put into my
> scenes so that people will be able to tell by looking at it that it
> was made using POV-Ray.
> At most, we are trying to move POV-Ray up the respect ladder to where
> it belongs, rather than at the bottom of some other, perhaps lower
> quality, but commercial renderers.  I just want some people to see
> some of the amazing images that people make using POV-Ray and then
> recognize the little object that tells them what program was
> responsible for the quality.

In article <3917bfa9@news.povray.org>, "Edward Coffey"
<e.c### [at] ugradunimelbeduau> wrote:

> But POV does compete for the attention of 3D computer artists and
> programmers.  The more people involved, the more creative ideas for
> using and improving POV will be put forward, and the more tutorials,
> macros and patches will be written - thus benefiting the entire POV
> community.

What I gather from this is:

1) Growth of the povray community is seen as good.
2) A readily identifiable logo is seen as a recruitment tool.
3) Povray has a "poor cousin" image problem.

I'm going to leave 1 and 3 alone for the time being, and concentrate on
the use of a logo as a recruitment tool...

I cannot remember the last time that I saw an image marked with a
Photoshop, Poser, or Bryce logo.  Have I been blinkered, or does anyone
else out there routinely see logos of said products on images?

What I *have* seen are galleries of Bryce and Poser images, which have
been headlined or introduced with a Bryce or Poser _BANNER_ (we're
talking in the ballpark of 200x50px).  More often, I've simply seen a
hyperlink off some ordinary text.

This appears (to me, at least) to mean that the artists who create the
works are perfectly happy to give credit where credit is due, but don't
want their work spoilt by a completely foreign object being inserted
into their art.

This leads me to the conclusion that _any_ logo we come up with will be
sufficiently objectionable so as to simply not be displayed on final
images, and thus defeating the primary reason for having a logo in the
first place.  We may as well just have a banner contest!

However...

What if, rather than adopting a static logo, we adopt a stylized 3d
_effect_ instead - one that can work in *with* the art, rather than
against it?

Check this post to see what I mean:
 <htp-4F0571.22542909052000@news.povray.org>

If we can come up with something that can consistently create a subtle
and recognisable effect in a corner of an image, then more artists are
likely to include it in their final traces; and if it can be made so
easy to include such an effect that the majority of artists "mark" their
work as a matter of course, then this 'logo' might actually have an
effect.

Otherwise, I just don't see any logo, regardless of how good it is,
making a lick of difference, because no-one will include it.

Henry.

PS:  Musing...  It could even be possible to build this effect into the
application itself, so that it is automatically applied to every image
by default.  Naturally, one should be able to declate a variable in the
.pov file which turns off the mark, but if the default mode is on, then
the mark will proliferate!