POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : logo3 - attached files (1/1) : Re: logo3 - POVlogo3sow.jpg (1/1) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:25:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: logo3 - POVlogo3sow.jpg (1/1)
From: Henry
Date: 7 May 2000 13:16:07
Message: <htp-628B53.02450308052000@news.povray.org>
In article <39157624@news.povray.org>, "TonyB"
<ben### [at] panamac-comnet> wrote:

> I like the second one... I predominate. :)  But seriously, I don't think
> this will do for a logo. You might use the robots in HE Day's image as a
> sort of mascot, but I don't see anything else coming from this.

The way my brain was thinking at the time was "Why not let the symbol of
the art be the art itself?"

(BTW: I collated 4 into the second image just to show how they looked
side-by-side.  I included it so as to help divorce the content from the
format, and minimise any bias which would naturally occur if I only
selected a single trace.  I did not intend to suggest that a series
actually be used for anything on its own.)

I figure that rather than one fixed logo, the PoV-Ray community could,
perhaps annually, vote on the dozen best static traces produced in the
preceeding year.  Those 12 traces get turned into a series of stamps,
and then feature prominently on websites (stored on a single server,
rotated monthly by cron, and linked to by everyone else).

Because the art is continually being refined, the stamps would move with
the times.  That way, we wouldn't have to go through this torturous
"let's think up a new logo 'cos the old one looks crusty" routine every
few years.

The only thing that is consistent is the 'container' for the trace.  I
used a stamp because, well, it just plopped into mind at the time.
There is no reason it couldn't be a picture frame, a plaque, or even a
window frame.  The simpler and more unobtrusive it is, the better.  Now
that I reflect on the choice, stamps get sent all around the world, so
would our traces.  Stamps celebrate or recognise the culture from which
they originate, so would our traces.  For those that like reading
meaning into things, there a lot there to be read...

I'll finish with two quotes:

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more
violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in
the opposite direction." -- Albert Einstein

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to
please everyone." -- Bill Cosby

Henry.

PS:  They look nice on white backgrounds as well (with a little
drop-shadow)...

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'POVlogo3sow.jpg' (10 KB)