POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG to texture : Re: JPEG to texture Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG to texture
From: Mike Williams
Date: 13 Jan 2000 00:38:11
Message: <hrivlBA+dQf4EwHo@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Spider who wrote:
>> There's a big difference here. No successful fractal compression
>> algoithm exist. There surely is a great potential here, but no
>> algorithm for effectively turning an image into a set of fractal
>> functions.
>
>There are.
>Do a web search for the .fif format, Fractal Image Format I belive it
>is. Graphic Workshop could/can read it, and it was great for photos, but
>I've lost all references to it over the years.

There is a shareware program, Fractal Imager, at http://www.iterated.com
that can encode and decode FIF format files.

Some drawbacks with fractal image compression are:

 The algorithms are patented, and the owners of the patents are not
 making them freely available. In particular, they've only made the
 algorithms available on a small number of operating systems.

 The time taken to encode a file is quite noticeable - as much as 68
 seconds for an 800x600 image on my 500MHz machine, and probably quite a
 bit longer on the machines that were commonly available on 1995.

--
Mike Williams + #
Gentleman of Leisure