POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Another competition? : Re: Another competition? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another competition?
From: ABX
Date: 4 May 2004 12:13:48
Message: <hqff90hfqhb3r7ftt8bkv9j929v54sgofi@4ax.com>
On 4 May 2004 11:43:15 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > 4. No programming. Create scene without #declaring, #whiling and #macroing
> >    anything
>
> Isn't that the exact opposite of what makes these small competitions
> interesting?

Not to me. The idea of the contest is to do unusual things. Of course I can
write program to output non-programming version of programming one but then it
will result in long source. The idea is to make source as short as possible so
flexibility of primitives/patterns/effects are better focused.

> Why would it be interesting in *not* being able to use POV-Ray's full
> potential in creating scenes?

That's the question you can ask about all the subjects. Why to force to write
short code if it's more readable in long form? Why to use only radiosity to
make a scene if similar effect can be rendered in short time using less
agresive radiosity + 2 light sources?

ABX