POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can't seem to take a wedge shaped bite : Can't seem to take a wedge shaped bite Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Can't seem to take a wedge shaped bite
From: Lilith
Date: 18 Sep 2008 12:24:14
Message: <hlv4d4tfvamud7aueqjbvb5vlk3dg2p824@4ax.com>
This is driving me crazy.  I have a shape that's basically a circular
collection of clipped torii and cylinders but as a union I can
represent as a short cylinder with axis along the z-axis.  I want to
take a 30 degree wedge out of the bottom of it.

I've defined the wedge as

#declare Wedge = cylinder {
   <0, 0, -5>, <0, 0, 5> OuterDia + MinorDia * 2
   clipped_by {plane {x * 1, 0 rotate z*15}}
   clipped_by {plane {x * -1, 0 rotate z*-15}}
}

It really doesn't need to be that thick but it's okay for my purposes
right now.

I then do

#declare EmblemTest = difference {
   cylinder {<0, 0,.01>,<0, 0, -.01> 15}
   object {Wedge }
}

object {EmblemTest}

I get nothing.  I've tested using intersection and and see the wedge
shape.  I've tried setting the wedge to inverse in the difference and
the intersection declarations and I still can't get a disc with a
wedge removed.  I've tried a few other combinations that don't come to
mind at the moment but still nothing.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Lilith