POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : transparency methods : Re: transparency methods Server Time
5 Aug 2024 04:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: transparency methods
From: Peter Popov
Date: 4 Dec 2002 05:38:49
Message: <hlmruuc55smb149quk2n4ljc6dns4cepm3@4ax.com>
On Wed,  4 Dec 2002 04:08:48 EST, "Rohan Bernett" <rox### [at] yahoocom>
wrote:

>Could POVray have some new transparency methods added to it? The existing 2
>don't meet all needs.

That's simply because you don't know how to use all their
possibilities.

>One kind of transparency that would be good would be the kind where when you
>use a greyscale map, the black is invisible, the white is opaque, and the
>shades inbetween brighten up what is viewed behind the transparent object.

Use a pigment_map using an image_pattern and transmit values greater
than 1.

>This would be good for making lens flares, as my experiments using transmit
>haven't looked very good. The inbetween transparent areas look slightly
>grey. I am using varying transparency, going from 1 at black to 0 at white.
>I can't seem to figure out any solution to this other than having a new
>transparency method added to the program.

If you really think so, go ahead and add one :) Me, I'll stick with
what there is as it can perfectly well do what I want it to do.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg