POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fast way to subtract multiple spheres? : Re: Fast way to subtract multiple spheres? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:23:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fast way to subtract multiple spheres?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 13 Jan 2005 02:30:03
Message: <hMmAPEA+Mi5BFwTf@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Mike Raiford who wrote:
>Okay,
>
>I have a box. I want to subtract hundreds of spheres from said box.
>
>I have attempted 2 methods ...
>
>1) CSG. Reasonable up to about 100, beyond 100, painful. Cand be
>somewhat mitigated by bounding the final object, but that particular
>object's render speed is unacceptably slow. And before you point me to
>it... yes, I am aware of the holes tutorial. The object is transparent
>and a merge does no better.
>
>2) Isosurface. Quite simply, I'd recommend jumping off a building first.
>Hundreds of f_sphere calls and calls to min() to create the union of
>spheres is really too much to ask of POV-Ray. Render time is painful to
>excruciating.

I think you may have misunderstood the isosurface page of my holes
tutorial. The idea isn't to use hundreds of isosurface functions, but to
use one isosurface that evaluates to hundreds of spheres.

Since your object is transparent, I would have suggested that you should
have first tried part 3 of the holes tutorial: Transparent Holes.

If you've got as particular problem that *really* isn't covered with my
existing holes tutorial, I'd be interested in hearing more details about
what you're trying to do and seeing your current source code.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure