POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : support for povray.poser forum? : Re: support for povray.poser forum? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:17:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: support for povray.poser forum?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 19 Jan 2004 09:52:04
Message: <h17td1-l4u.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> I don't know how heretic it is, but I'd be in favor of putting "binaries" at
> the end (it's already the case for international.binaries) for all the
> groups that have it on second level, and dropping "text" entirely.
>
> [...]

The .binaries first is common in usenet (alt.binaries.* etc.) so it
would be consequent IMO to maintain it.  The other argument is that
people might treat the binaries groups in general differently (like
reading them with a different newsreader, only downloading them on
demand and not in advance) and therefore would appreciate the
distinction on top level.

I agree that the .text groups do not make that much sense.

povray.scene-files
povray.binaries.scene-files
povray.tools
povray.binaries.tools (instead of binaries.utilities)
povray.tutorials (instead of text.tutorials)
povray.binaries.tutorials

Of course the non-binary groups would be prone to people falsely posting
binaries there (like in povray.animations).

And note that renaming large old groups would result in quite some work
or everyone who keeps the postings (you either have to download
everything again or replace all group names in the files).

Christoph

Last updated 11 Jan. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______