POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : fu*ing photons and memory managment : Re: fu*ing photons and memory managment Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fu*ing photons and memory managment
From: ABX
Date: 24 Feb 2004 11:47:44
Message: <h0um309hcvs0a8dk76lgeo8fnpqtgo5b1e@4ax.com>
On 24 Feb 2004 11:07:24 -0500, "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spa### [at] raf256com> wrote:
> But if You have just  photons { spacing 0.001 } it is not quite easy to
> calculate memory usage.
>
> > techinics about limiting number of photons aka memory usage in
> > photons{}.
>
> Well, right... but memory limit imho can be still usefull.

How, if you just said "it is not quite easy to calculate memory"?
If you can't calculate memory usage yourself, how can you choose value for
memory limit for option ??????

> > > +old CPU cycle (80%, 90%) - I suggest it should also be an ini option
> > > +old priority - it should be also an ini option
> > where is explanation what it does ?
>
> I ment "old" (current in 3.5 and 3.6) options.

3.6 threading is almost completly rewritten. It's simply impossible.

> > > - new duty cycle / priority settings - for memory, i.e. that PovRay
> > > will delay for i.e. 1 second every second of memory swapping.
> > How do you want to fix memory swapping in POV-Ray for Windows if you
> > do not understand that it is not a task of POV-Ray ?
>
> Ofcourse I do understand it is not responsibility of Pov, but users will be
> heapy if it will do something extra.

Sure, just give us a reference to msdn where possibilities of installing
callback function for memory managers of all versions of Windowses are
designed. Or better, give it to yourself and provide ready solution.

> > IIRC current beta expires in middle of March. Until then can you write
> > universal function based on 3.5 sources which recognizes than next
> > line of code takes 4 mb ?
>
> There was function linke afir POV_ALLOC that allocated memory and btw.
> calculates peek usage ustatistics.

How does it affects storing local variables ?

Really, if you do not want memory to swap, just turn swap file off. Otherwise
such limit is useless since that's not management of POV-Ray but OS. In other
words if you have 512 MB RAM, render which uses 300 MB, 10MB of PDF in Acrobat
Reader, Open Office large document and a few other things, your memory still
will be swaped. You are free to install memory usage monitor (and usually one
is already within Windowses) to verify amount of memory POV-Ray used and you
can kill POV-Ray then.

Again, the only valid point (which does not excuse "fu*ing" word in the world
of volunteers) is that perhaps photons stuff does not leave thread with
photons calculation often enough. If you think it is the case please provide
(follow-up set) script so somebody could confirm your observation. Not every
photon usage can be affected by such issue.

Before next "bug report" please read:
  Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 06:39:19 -0800
  From: Ken <ken### [at] tagpovrayorg>
  Newsgroups: povray.beta-test