POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Clouds Don't Cast Shadow : Re: Clouds Don't Cast Shadow Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clouds Don't Cast Shadow
From: Stephen McAvoy
Date: 12 May 2004 13:31:29
Message: <frn4a0dk8icgdem15vci3vrdejg3hc483r@4ax.com>
On Wed, 12 May 2004 13:03:43 EDT, "CFM" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

>My POV-ray tutorial told me that if I wanted the sun created by the
>sky_sphere command to emit an apparent shadow through clouds, I'd have to
>make a really large sky_sphere with the proper texture,and put the
>light_source outside the sky_sphere.

The Pov-Ray sky_sphere is a background sort of thing. You cannot put
anything behind it.
The Pov-Ray documentation Section 3.11.2.3  Adding Some Clouds
Says;
The sky sphere has one drawback as you might notice when looking at
the final image (skysph3.pov). The sun doesn't emit any light and the
clouds will not cast any shadows. If you want to have clouds that cast
shadows you'll have to use a real, large sphere with an appropriate
texture and a light source somewhere outside the sphere.
I wonder where you got your tutorial it seems to be leading you
astray.

Regards
        Stephen