POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reflecting (and bent) torus on checkered plane : Re: Reflecting (and bent) torus on checkered plane Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:26:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflecting (and bent) torus on checkered plane
From: Stephen
Date: 26 Aug 2009 16:43:31
Message: <fb7b95hrmkha67i6a68dhuh5f08l3u84cl@4ax.com>
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 09:08:52 -0700, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>> I can't quite get my head around how a photograph of a piece of public art can
>> be copyrighted. And no I don't mean to open up a discussion ;)
>
>Certainly the photograph can be copyrighted. :-)

I know.

>Plus, making a photograph is reproducing the work, so that's also a
>copyright violation. Just because it's visible to the public doesn't mean
>it's *yours*.  The work was commissioned to get people to go to that part of
>town to look at it. The purpose is defeated if you let people copy it.

I would have thought that the more people that saw the photograph, the better to
fulfil the purpose.

>Would you object to someone building a copy of your public artwork and
>putting it somewhere else?

No, I would be chuffed.

Seriously I would be pleased. I would like to be credited but if I saw any of my
PovRay images on the web I would be over the moon. But then, chance is a fine
thing.
--

Regards
     Stephen