POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random question on a friday morning : Re: Random question on a friday morning Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:21:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random question on a friday morning
From: Stephen
Date: 19 Dec 2008 14:26:32
Message: <fatnk4dbh6rj62bjt4pkp90shkb07hrct4@4ax.com>
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:32:49 EST, "Clarence1898" <cla### [at] comcastnet>
wrote:

>IBM also made a 96 column card with round holes for their system/3 back in the
>70's
>
>I wrote a driver for the IBM 1017 paper tape reader on an ibm/370 system, also
>in the 70's.  The reader was already obsolete, so IBM didn't support it on our
>system.  It was kind of fun to write the code, but overall it turned out to be
>a PITA.

When I worked for Burroughs in the mid 70's they too made 96 column card
readers/printers but they had rectangular holes. IIRC the 80 column cards were
rectangular too.

I remember taking a high speed tape reader to bits once. I would like to say
that I managed to put it back together but I can't. Do you remember the golf
ball printer heads?

--

Regards
     Stephen