POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scanline rendering in POV-Ray : Re: The Meaning of POV-Ray Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Meaning of POV-Ray
From: ABX
Date: 5 Jun 2003 04:37:34
Message: <f3vtdv8kobsem4upmcc2m23789nkuuha7l@4ax.com>
On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 00:49:56 -0700, "Ray Gardener" <ray### [at] daylongraphicscom>
wrote:
> Hmm... I understand, but what I now wonder is
> what happens when a critical mass of users have
> made large investments in using POV-Ray.

They have it, they use it.

> Speaking hypothetically, let's say that all copies of POV-Ray
> somehow vanished, along with any source code versions, and the
> developers got tired of the whole thing as well. Essentially,
> no more POV-Ray.

This is only case of whole universe disaster.

> Intermediate
> scenarios (e.g., the POV-Team decides on a radical change
> that breaks half of all scene files, but another group instantly
> springs up forking POV-Ray to preserve compatability, or
> the backlash is so strong the POV-Team changes their minds)
> would also demonstrate the same effect. It's similar to
> what people notice about political leaders: yes, the people
> at the top technically have absolute power, but in practice,
> they do not.

Your are blowing this problem out of proportions.
I do not need any Team to play with scenes with existing binaries. I do not need
any Team to make own extensions I need. But that's the Team who initialized my
interest, start my fun, released application for me. I love it. I use it.

> Let's imagine another case: an outsider develops a really
> popular patch. Nearly everyone loves it, but (again, hypothetically)
> the POV-Team doesn't. What would happen? The code would be
> forked and the majority of the user base would follow
> whatever group managed the fork.

Excuse me, how long are you with POV? Have you noticed differences in features
betwen POV-Ray 3.1, MegaPOV 0.7, POV-Ray 3.5 and MegaPOV 1.0 and some
announcements about MegaPOV 1.1?

ABX