POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Infinite object question : Re: Infinite object question Server Time
6 Aug 2024 17:01:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Infinite object question
Date: 2 Apr 2002 17:18:29
Message: <f3bkaukduootl6jfkmh47qolo7rq8oi0q6@4ax.com>
On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 00:07:32 +0200, "JRG" <jrg### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> That does not make it an infinite object.
> I can read:
> "scene contains 1 frame level objects; 0 infinite".

IIRC this counting message consider bounding boxes so nothing strange (but of
course can confuse).

> Either an inverted object isn't infinite, or that message is wrong.

Another test: make box, add inverse, hollow and media and tell me where media
appear ?

> BTW, I used difference many times, and my CSG objects never happened to become
> infinte.

You were lucky. Creation of bounding boxes for CSG isn't so simple to have one
general rule. IIRC it depends on relation in space, volume, type of csg etc.
Documentation says about bounding: "For difference and intersection operations
this will hardly ever lead to an optimal bounding box. It's sometimes better
(depending on the complexity of the CSG object) to have you place a bounding
shape yourself using a bounded_by statement."

ABX