POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render Window: Selection Lasso rather than Selection Rectangle : Re: Render Window: Selection Lasso rather than Selection Rectangle Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:22:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render Window: Selection Lasso rather than Selection Rectangle
From: Kyle
Date: 1 May 2006 18:56:20
Message: <ev3d525uhl58kg8ckme3vvns1q4ng0fh8g@4ax.com>

>My suggestion to all POV-Ray developers: the render window should be
>featuring a selection lasso rather than the conventional selection
>rectangle. That would make it possible to limit a new selection rendering to
>only the areas really needed, while the conventional selection rectangle
>might very often contain areas not desired to render again (as rendering
>unimportant areas slows down unneccessarily).

Hi Sven.

A common practice is to use #declare and #if statements in your scene to control the
rendering of
certain objects or groups of objects.  For example, you may declare something like
this at the top
of your scene:

#declare draw_sphere true;

Then have an #if statement in your scene to control rendering of the object:

#if ( draw_sphere )
  ... code for the sphere goes here ...
#end

I often use this technique to control detailed vs. simple textures also.

Kyle